Monday, May 28, 2012

Bier Käse Suppe

Bier Käse Suppe means beer cheese soup! I have been wanting to make this soup since I arrived in Germany because, as a Wisconsinite, it embodies all that I can be proud of. Beer and cheese! I wanted to make it so that my host family could taste a little bit of my home. I am also no cook so it is a miracle that it worked out. Recipes from America are hit or miss in Germany. It can be difficult to find the ingredients you need sometimes and sometimes, when you find the ingredients, they can be a little off. For instance, we would have ideally used sharp cheddar but the best we could find was mild cheddar. It was delicious though. My good friend Nicole sent me a recipe and it turned out great! The ingredients are:

1 onion (diced)
3 carrots (finely chopped) 
1 clove of minced garlic
4 TBSP butter
4 TBSP flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp onion powder
4 cups of milk
3 cups of shredded cheese
1 cup of beer



I was really glad that I took the plunge to make this soup because now I know what a roue is and I now know just how important it is for a soup. I decided to make the soup when I had another participant from my program visiting. And, of course, Joe had to be included as well. I have never really seen a measuring cup or measuring spoons in Germany. I am sure they exist somewhere in the country but I have never seen anyone use them. To measure we had to use coffee cups and we had to "eye" the butter up. My host mom uses this technique all the time and her cooking always turns out amazing so we went with the flow and estimated. The soup turned out very tasty and es hat so viel Spaß gemacht!


Teamwork.
You just add the beer to the cheese right?

We be adding milk to that roue! 
Kate can open a beer bottle with ANYTHING.
Final step...ENJOY!

No comments: