Monday, May 28, 2012

Leipzig

Seeing as I live only 1.5 hours from Leipzig, I am asking myself why I didn't go sooner. It is a pretty happening place in Sachsen which is also in former East Germany. Because, I live so close I was able to make a day trip with a friend. My current boss works in Magdeburg but lives in Leipzig so he gave me a list of things to see when I was in Leipzig. One of the first things we saw was St. Nicholas Church. This church is kind of famous because it was where some of the first protests were held where people voiced their dissatisfaction with the DDR (East Germany). The protests began in September 1989 and, as we all know, the Berlin wall fell in November 1989. Yay!
St. Nicholas Church. It is kind of hard to get a great picture because it is in the city center and has other buildings very close to it.
The other place we needed to see was St. Thomas Church. This is home of the most famous boy's choir in all of Germany, the St. Thomas Church boy's choir. The choir director of this famous boy's choir has been held by many notable people but, most notably, by Johann Sebastian Bach from 1723 until his death in 1750. This church is also where his remains are kept.
St. Thomas Church with a beggar in front of it. 

My boss suggested we see one other thing while we were in Leipzig. It was a monument called Völkerschlachtdenkmal also known as the Monument to the Battle of the Nations. It is a monument that commemorates the bloody battle that led to Napoleon's defeat in Leipzig. The monument has over 500 steps and leads to a platform where you can see spectacular views in all directions.

Inside


Over 500 steps to the top and I still pull it together for a photo op.
We visited the monument on May 5th. Me and Joe realized after seeing this that the 100th anniversary for the monument was only 8 days away!

Leipzig was pretty cool but me and Joe were getting tuckered out. So after getting dinner at the local Vapianos we headed back to Magdeburg.

No comments: