Sunday, August 14, 2011

Schwarzwald

Black forest!!!!!! Okay, who hasn't imagined going to the black forest. This magical place covered in the most beautiful tress. I mean, this is where cuckoo clocks are made! So cool. The CDC (my language school) organizes outings for their students every Saturday. On Saturday, August 6th the CDC gave the choice of 2 trips. The Shwarzwald or a trip to Zuruck. I love nature so I chose the Schwarzwald. It was a decision I did not regret.  The Schwarzwald covers a large area so there are multiple places to see the Scwarzwald. The CDC took us to a town called Triberg which is about an hour away from Radolfzell (the Bodensee) by train.

Once we get to Triberg, we had to walk...but it was more like climbing. You see, we were going to see the highest waterfall in Germany. Not the biggest, just the highest. So we had to walk uphill. Way uphill...into the Schwarzwald. My gluteus maximus was burning after that day. It was a nice way to burn off all that Nutella I ate for breakfast. So we walk up through this town, Triberg, to get to this waterfall.
The main part of Triberg. Lots of shops that had things made out of Schwarzwald wood (like cuckoo clocks). Also, a lot of delicious pastry shops. Do you see how steep it is?!

It was so worth it. You are so high up that you feel you could just fall off the earth. At the entrance to the waterfall park they were selling Erdnüsse (peanuts) to feed to the Eichhörnchen (squirrels). I was under the impression that they were so used to human contact that they would just come up to you and grab the peanuts...I did not see one Eichhörnchen the entire trip except for the wooden statue outside the entrance to the waterfall.
The only squirrel I saw all day. WB carved into the statue. Was someone from West Bend, Wisconsin here?
There are actually several waterfalls that make up the entire waterfall in Triberg. All of them extremely beautiful. The forest was so green and lush and the waterfall sent mist all through the air. It was beautiful.
German paradise
Me at the top of the world
Me and my fellow CBYXers at Triberg Schwarzwald. Such a happy family!

1 comment: