Monday, September 12, 2011

Does Hair Go To Heaven?

I am not one of those lucky people who can let their hair get too long. My hair is not, in the least, thick or voluminous. On the contrary, it is thin and lifeless and it is blond, which means, when I get even a little sun, it bleaches itself to the point where it sort of disappears on my head. The extremely hard water here in Radolzell coupled with no water softener is also not helping the dull and lifeless situation. It also does not grow uniformly whatsoever which means even when it gets to be about 2 inches long, it looks very scraggly. Yes, you heard me correct. I said "scraggly". So I reached the point over here in Germany where I needed a haircut. My first haircut in Germany. I was fearing it for a while. I was hoping I could have waited longer for my German to get better but desperate times call for desperate measures. I had a good enough vocabulary but decided I was not leaving anything to chance since, if my hair was ruined, and I ended up getting a buzz cut to hide it, I would have to keep that buzz-cut for months since my hair grows so slowly. So I ended up finding a photo online to bring with me. Let's call the guy in it Herr Schmidt...cuz he looks like one okay. See the picture below.
Herr Schmidt??????
I had to go to my language school, CDC (Carl-Duisberg Centren) to get it printed since my host family does not have a printer. Even simple things like printing something off has become more difficult over here. All is well, however, since there are others things that are great (like having Nutella everyday and not gaining weight since you are walking everywhere). Es ist toll! So I go to the Sekretäriat to print off this photo and I also asked them where I can get beide ein billiger und sehr guter Haarschnitt (both a cheap and very good haircut). They refer me to this place call "Hair Killer." I say "come again?" And they reiterate that this place is indeed called Hair Killer and that it is located just down the road. Yes, a lot of food labels and even business names here in Germany use English. Hmmmmmmm...I definitely would not get my dog groomed at a place called "Dog Killer" but I don't care for my hair as much as I would for a dog so I said "When in Rome" and headed for Hair Killer. The entire process proved to be fairly quick and Herr Schmidt came in handy. I was in the chair for no more 7 minutes and ended up paying 13€ for my haircut which is pretty preiswert (inexpensive) for Germany. I was overall satisfied with the cut but nothing can compare to Roffler Styling in West Bend. I have been going there since I was like 5 and have never gotten a better haircut. That is the first place I am going when I get off the plane home.
A hair slaughter house???????
Right before the hair killing. Ich habe Angst (I am afraid)!
Me, after my hair has been thoroughly murdered. Who thought killing hair could be so much fun?

1 comment:

kaitlingrace said...

Looks beautiful. However; that is not the first place you're going when you come home!! You best see me first!! ;)